Many adults find dentists scary, so you can only imagine how some kids feel. Yet, regular dental visits are important for kids of all ages. Preventative care ensures that your child has the best oral health and a beautiful smile for a lifetime. What can you do to ease fears for a child who is scared of visiting the dentist? The following tips can help.
· Do not say bad things about the dentist, threaten your child with the dentist, or make other negative statements around the kids. This can negatively impact their thoughts about the dentist. If mom and dad feel this way, obviously they should, too.
· Choose the right dentist. Some dentists are better working with kids than others because they can handle their special needs. Research the options in dentistry for children los angeles to ensure the best dentist is found for your children.
· Schedule the appointment at the right time. If you schedule the appointment around lunch or nap time, for example, you may face breakdowns and more frustrations from the child than normal.
· Talk to your child about the dentist. Answer their questions and make sure they know that there is nothing to be afraid of. Tell them you’ll be with them every step of the way and ensure there is a reward at the end of the visit.
· Make the dental visit fun. Choosing the right dentist is an important part of this. You can also take books, video games, etc. with you to the dentist to help take the child’s mind off of the dental visit.
Dental visits protect our teeth from damage. Oral care is important for kids of all ages, even when they are a bit afraid. Use the above tips to ease some of the fears your child may have.